Welcome to the FIREFLY project website. This FP7 project started in October 2011 and is aimed at the development of new optical components, which will make it possible to transmit data in optical domain on the board, along with novel assembly strategies and technologies.
This site presents the vision, objectives and participants of the project, that started on October 1, 2011, and will continue for three years. The progress of the research will be published regularly on this website.
FIREFLY Update October 13, 2014
While the project is coming to an end, the developments are mainly aimed at the realization of technology demonstrators. The final result will be a Photonic Integrated Circuit (see figure) combining the technologies that have been proven in sub-demonstrators.
The final demonstrator of FIREFLY will combine the following new components:
• 1550 nm embedded VCSEL
• Imprinted waveguide stack made of Ormocer® materials
• 45 degree mirror, guiding light from the VCSEL into waveguide stack
• glass fibre connected to the waveguide stack
• Design and modelling of components and lay-out (Tyndall, TE Connectivity)
• Silicon processing (TNO)
• VCSEL manufacturing (Vertilas)
• VCSEL placement (Imec, TE Connectivity)
• Material development (Momentive, TNO, Utrecht University)
• Waveguide manufacturing (VTT, IBM, TNO)
• Mirror manufacturing (Imec, VTT, TNO)
• Photonic Crystal structures (not yet part of the PIC; TNO)
• Fiber coupling (TE Connectivity)
New publications about FIREFLY research have been uploaded under Publications.